Font Size Down Font Size Up Reset Font Size

Congressman Randy Hultgren

Representing the 14th District of ILLINOIS

Watch: Hultgren Highlights House Bills to Help Struggling Middle Class Americans

Aug 1, 2014
Press Release

Washington, DC — During a Special Order floor speech this week, U.S. Representative Randy Hultgren (IL-14) highlighted several pieces of legislation the House has passed that benefit struggling Americans. Some bills, like the Hire More Heroes Act which would help small businesses hire veterans, are stuck in the Senate. Rep. Hultgren urged action on the more than 350 pieces of legislation the House has passed for the benefit of families like that of Jessica, a constituent from Lake in the Hills, Illinois who emailed him.

Hultgren Highlights House Bills to Help Struggling Middle Class Americans

(Click picture to watch video)

Following are excerpts from Rep. Hultgren’s remarks:

Jessica from Lake in the Hills in Illinois wrote me with concern about her current economic situation. She’s a single mother with two teenagers. But like many Americans, she recently lost her job amidst the slow economic recovery.

As Gallup recently confirmed, many Americans like Jessica are having to spend more on items they have to buy, and less on items they choose to buy...rising costs of basic necessities like groceries, gas, and utilities for middle class families like Jessica’s smothers them as the cost of day-to-day living goes up.

This is heartbreaking and frustrating because the House has passed legislation to lower energy prices, create jobs, improve work-life balance and do many other things to help.

Still, I do have hope we can work across the aisle to help address the problems of the middle class—that’s what the American people sent us here to do. Just this month, the House and Senate passed and the president signed the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, H.R. 803, or the SKILLS Act, which helps reform and modernize our federal job training programs.

When it comes down to it, I truly believe we can all agree on about 80 percent of the issues facing the nation. Building relationships and working on common goals can help us address the other 20 percent without being divisive.

But where does this leave middle class families right now? They are still finding their paychecks don’t go as far as they used to. Energy prices are still high and groceries aren’t getting any cheaper. More than 350 bills are stuck in the Senate—many of those would help Americans get back on their feet again….Let’s help families like Jessica’s and get these bills passed through the Senate now.

Bills mentioned include:

  • H.R. 1105, Small Business Capital Access and Job Preservation Act
  • H.R. 1406, Working Families Flexibility Act
  • H.R. 3474, Hire More Heroes Act
  • H.R. 4899, Lowering Gasoline Prices to Fuel an America That Works Act
  • H.R. 803, Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act

###