Hultgren 'disappointed' about potential refugee cap
U.S. Rep. Randy Hultgren (R-Plano) said he is "disappointed" about reports that the cap will be lowered on the number of refugees admitted to the United States next year.
A U.S. official said Tuesday that President Donald Trump this week is expected to announce a cap of 45,000 refugees to be admitted in fiscal year 2018, which begins Sunday.
It is not clear if the administration intends to reach that cap. Even that number would be the lowest number of refugees admitted to the U.S. since 2006, when 41,223 were allowed in.
Other officials said last week the administration was considering options to admit between 40,000 and 50,000. All the officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss internal administration deliberations.
"I am disappointed at preliminary reports showing a reduction in the numbers of vulnerable refugees our country will be able to resettle next year," Hultgren said in a statement. "I believe we can balance both compassion and security and remain the world's shining city on a hill. We should help both those who want to stay in their homelands and the most vulnerable who have fled based on a grounded fear of facing persecution or death if they return. Let's trust our longstanding and rigorous vetting system, with its strong record of success, to open the door to those most in need."
Hultgren's 14th District includes parts of the Aurora and Naperville areas.
Associated Press contributed to this report.