2011 Assistance to Firefighters Grant Application Period Extended to September 16
A program of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, grants are awarded to fire departments to enhance their ability to protect the public and fire service personnel from fire and related hazards. Three types of grants are available: Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG), Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response Grants (SAFER), and Fire Prevention and Safety Grants (FP&S). The open application period will run from August 15 – September 16, 2011.
WHO'S ELIGIBLE FOR AFG?
Paid, volunteer and combination fire departments and nonaffiliated EMS organizations from urban, suburban, and rural communities in the U.S. and its territories.
WHAT DOES AFG SUPPORT?
- Firefighting and EMS equipment
- Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Fire and EMS vehicles
- Training programs
- Wellness and fitness programs
- Modifications to facilities
WHAT'S NEW THIS YEAR?
- Funding priorities have been categorized as: High, medium and low. Use our priority system to increase your chances of winning an award.
- We've added new items/activities eligible for funding in 2011: Behavioral health programs, boats under 20 Ft., and extended warranties.
- Flashover simulators are not eligible for funding.
- Applicants may apply for more than one vehicle. However, driver/operator training/certification is required in order to receive a vehicle award.
WHERE DO I APPLY?
Learn more about AFG and start your application online at https://www.fema.gov/firegrants.
NEW THIS YEAR: GRANT RECIPIENTS MUST REGISTER IN THE CENTRAL CONTRACTOR REGISTRATION (CCR) SYSTEM
As of August 2010, prime recipients of Federal grants are required to register in the Central Contractor Registration (CCR) system. As a potential grantee you are not required to register, but you may wish to do so now in case you receive an award. CCR registration will be required if you are selected for an award.
How to register:
1. Obtain a DUNS number from Dun and Bradstreet: https://fedgov.dnb.com/webform.
If you already have a DUNS number, skip to #2.
2. Once you have a DUNS number, register here: https://www.bpn.gov/ccr/default.aspx.
For more information on grantee registration in the CCR system, download the AFG Get Ready Guide or visit their website: https://www.bpn.gov/ccr/grantees.aspx