Hultgren Announces 2017 Art Competition Winner at Aurora Christian High School Reception
Campton Hills, IL — U.S. Representative Randy Hultgren (IL-14) is thrilled to announce the 14th District winner of the 2017 Congressional Art Competition, Luke Holwerda of Wheaton Academy, whose piece, “L’Arc de Triomphe,” won out of the 41 entries submitted from the district. The piece will hang on display in the U.S. Capitol for one year; the second and third place winners will hang at the Campton Hills office. As winner, Luke also receives two roundtrip plane tickets to Washington, D.C to attend Washington festivities.
(Rep. Hultgren with winner Luke Holwerda)
“This year’s participants didn’t disappoint—we enjoy artistic talent across the district. I encourage everyone to look at the gallery of submissions,” said Rep. Hultgren. “I congratulate Luke, Ashley, Jennifer and all participants for putting the talent of the 14th Congressional District on full display. I look forward to see how these students will use their talents in future careers, for personal enjoyment and for the good of the community.”
The winner was announced at an evening reception attended by parents, students, teachers and community members at Aurora Christian High School on Monday featuring music from students attending the school.
Additional winners include:
- 2nd place - Ashley Polito, Oswego High School, “Echidna”
- 3rd place – Jennifer Jermolowicz, Oswego High School, “In Your Face”
Speakers at the event included:
- Dr. Collette House, Supertintendent Aurora Christian Schools
- Craig Vaughn, MDW Station Leader, Ground Operations, representing Southwest Airlines
- Vincent Chiaramonte, an accomplished portrait painter, a graduate of the American Academy of Art in Chicago who was judge of this year’s competition.
The Congressional Art Competition was created in 1982, and hundreds of thousands of high school students have participated. More information is available on the Congressional Art Competition website.