Hultgren Convenes Community College Presidents to Discuss Key Issues in Higher Education
Washington, DC — U.S. Representative Randy Hultgren (IL-14) convened six community college presidents that sit on his Higher Education Advisory Committee (HEAC) to discuss important issues in higher education including reauthorization legislation, career and technical education, the Department of Labor’s new overtime rule and student loan debt.
(Gabbard, Borowicz, Hultgren, Sam, Sobek, Rondeau, Mitchell)
“The seven community colleges that service the 14th Congressional District provide vital education and training to our communities. I rely on the members of my Higher Education Advisory Committee to inform me of their needs and challenges they face as they seek to educate,” said Rep. Hultgren. “At this most recent meeting, we tackled important issues such as transparency in student loans, regulation compliance requirements for managing federal student aid, promoting workforce development and career readiness and meeting the needs of a diverse and changing student population. I was pleased to congratulate and welcome our newest college presidents. I look forward to building our relationship as we work together for the benefit of northern Illinois.”
For families planning to send their children to college and take out student loans, Rep. Hultgren has introduced H.R. 5838, the Transparency in Student Lending Act, which aims to provide more information to consumers by requiring the disclosure of the annual percentage rate at the time of application for a federal student loan. Currently, borrowers of private student loans receive this information, but borrowers of loans issued by the Department of Education do not.
Seven community colleges together serve the people of the 14th District. Attendees included:
- Congressman Randy Hultgren (IL-14)
- Dr. Laurie Borowicz, President, Kishwaukee College
- Dr. Judy Mitchell, President, Joliet Junior College
- Dr. Ann Rondeau, President, College of DuPage
- Dr. David Sam, President, Elgin Community College
- Dr. Clinton Gabbard, President, McHenry County College
- Dr. Christine Sobek, President, Waubonsee Community College
- College of Lake County President Dr. Jerry Weber was unable to attend due to a scheduling conflict but sent senior representation to attend.