What is a STEM Scholar?
We're looking for highly-motivated high school students living or attending school in the 14th District who are keenly interested in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics! If you are a student driven to learn and excel in STEM fields, this program is for you.
The STEM Scholars Program
The STEM Scholar's program primary directive is to create regular channels of communication between 14th District youth and their U.S. Congressman, including promoting and sharing ideas and presenting solutions to today’s pressing issues. In addition, Scholars will grow their leadership skills through presentations, higher-level discussions, and on-site visits to some of the 14th District's premier STEM facilities. As student ambassadors, Scholars will interact regularly with Congressman Hultgren to advance STEM issues in their schools and communities and plan appropriate responses and solutions. STEM Scholars are STEM Ambassadors!
The program runs from September 2018 through May 2019 and will include programming specifically designed for exposing students to STEM careers and building STEM leadership qualities and skills.
The STEM Scholars program requires Scholars to be active student ambassadors in their community and respective high school. As such, Scholars are expected to:
- Attend the orientation seminar at the beginning of each school year
- Participate in all meetings and site-visits
- Attend the STEM Scholars program graduation ceremony
- Actively engage school leaders, peers, and communities
To submit your application for the STEM Scholars program, please fill and sign the following form:
All submitted applications must include:
- Expression of interest, "Why do you want to be a STEM Scholar?" (500 words max)
- Short essay, "What challenge facing youth merits greater public attention?" (500 words max)
- Resume, including a list of activities, accomplishments, and awards
- Letter of recommendation from teacher or mentor
The deadline to apply for the 2018-2019 STEM Scholars class is June 30, 2018. Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee who will make recommendations for STEM Scholars to be appointed to the program. Applicants will be notified of the selection committee’s decision in August 2018. Orientation for the STEM Scholars and the first gathering will occur on a Saturday in September in a centrally located place.
For additional questions, please contact Susan Russell in my Campton Hills office: (630) 584-2734.